For overseas visitors getting married in Australia
If you require an Apostille/ Authentication for your Australian registered marriage, this is the process:
The following points are standard procedures included in the basic fee:
- At the wedding ceremony I will award you a presentation Certificate of Marriage on behalf of the Commonwealth of Australia
- After the ceremony I will lodge all official marriage documents with Births, Deaths & Marriage (BDM) WA, who will register the marriage
- You will then be registered as married in the Australia.
The above is standard, the following is optional.
I AM HAPPY TO PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING SERVICE (fees apply)
- Your government may require an apostille or authentication stamp on the Marriage Certificate issued by BDM bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/
- The marriage certificate may be sent to me by BDM if you choose
- I will take the Marriage Certificate issued by BDM to Department of Foreign Affairs & Trading (DFAT) dfat.gov.au , lodge the application and get an Apostille/ Authentication issued (which usually takes 24 hours), and then they post it to me.
- I will then send by Registered Mail the duly authorised document to you.
The whole process may take a few weeks, depending on government departments’ processing.
Angela Burchardt, Civil Marriage Celebrant